Welcome to the RCMP Pipes, Drums & Dancers of the National Division
In 1997, as part of its 125th Anniversary celebrations, the RCMP formed a national ‘Tartan Committee’ with regional representation to: design a unique tartan for the Force; consider orders of dress for RCMP pipers and drummers; and make recommendations on its findings to the Commissioner. In April 1998, the Commissioner and Senior Executive Committee (SEC) approved recommendations to adopt the RCMP Tartan and a kilted uniform.
From inception, our vision contemplated a combined complement of RCMP pipers, drummers and highland dancers, based in Ottawa:
- comprised of RCMP members, employees and citizen volunteers,
- positioned to support charitable and not-for-profit community initiatives,
- available to complement the Force’s regimental ceremonial requirements,
- reflecting best practices in community policing, partnership and quality service,
- aligned with divisional and regional service delivery initiatives,
- encouraging an increased profile for the RCMP’s federal policing program, and
- advancing the RCMP’s strategic priorities with respect to integrated policing, youth, recruiting and national unity.
The mandate of the Band is to benefit the community through its music and performance repertoire and to support the RCMP on formal and ceremonial occasions. The Band performs in support of local and regional community endeavours, including:
- charity fundraisers,
- special interest groups, e.g. hospitals, schools, retirement homes,
- sport and cultural awards ceremonies,
- fairs, festivals and parades,
- memorial services,
- state and official occasions, and
- RCMP ceremonial functions.
The Band’s performance repertoire currently includes:
- full band,
- concert band with choreographed highland dance accompaniment,
- small groups/ensembles,
- duty pipers
The Band is regularly called upon to participate in high profile national and international events at the pleasure of the Commanding Officer and endorsed by the Executive Director of Public Affairs, National Headquarters, Ottawa.
Follow us on social media: